Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Paleo Day Three: Mixed Results





Pictured above is a zone-perfect 4 block meal which is also 100% paleo approved. 6 oz ground buffalo, 1/2 lb green beans, one apple, 1/3 oz nuts

I probably ate the lowest GI meals of my life yesterday and there were some notable effects. Firstly, I find this diet very boring, there is no way I could sustain this in the long term. However, eating so much fruit and veg, is very, very filling, and I could not eat 16 blocks, only 12.5, and I was not at all hungry, nor am I now (6:30AM). I also needed less than 7 hours of sleep. My performance yesterday was a mixed bag, I felt weak, but did get a PR in the Overhead Squat; 120x15. My weight has been holding steady at around 168-170 and 13-14% bodyfat. I think this protocol will help me push past that sticking point (in fact I am down to 167, a new low).

On the coffee front, there is just no way I am giving up coffee anytime soon. I took Kirsten's advice and had a 1/2 caf medium coffee this morning. So far so good.

6AM 1/2 cup milk, 3/4 of a small coffee = .5 blocks

8AM 2 egg whites, 1 egg, 4 cups mushrooms, 1 cup blueberries, 2 oz coconut milk, 2 tsp olive oil, 3/4 oz nuts = 3 blocks +3x fat

Noon 6 oz ground turkey, 1 lb zucchini, 1 apple, 2/3 teaspoon olive oil, 1/2 oz nuts, 2 tablespoon avocado = 4 blocks +.75x fat

3PM 4.5 oz chicken leg, 1 apple = 2 blocks (high protein)

9PM 6 oz chicken leg, 1/2 lb broccoli, 1 cup blueberries, 1/2 oz coconut milk, 1/2 oz nuts, 6 oz beer = 4 blocks +2x fat

Block Target = 16 paleo blocks (high-fat ok)

Block Total = 14 blocks + 1xfat

Paleo Rating = 90% (1/2 block milk, 1/2 cup cup coffee, 1/2 beer)

Workout:
"Helen" (1/2 volume week, 1.5 rounds)
Time:4:13


Bike Ride, 2 miles, fixed gear, flat, medium intensity

4 comments:

TbonMisfit said...

Max! Don't worry about the coffee!

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/2005/07/05/coffee-consumption-reduces-risk-for-diabetes/

Dr. Eades says so!

TbonMisfit said...

Weird...the link didn't paste well.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/
2005/07/05/
coffee-consumption-reduces-risk-
for-diabetes/

Tie that all together, and you're golden.

Jay said...

That meal looks pretty good.

Anonymous said...

Are green beans Paleo?