Thursday, November 22, 2007

Paleo Day Four: We Are Not Cows





4 block pure paleo meal: 1 pound zucchini, 1 apple, 6 oz ground turkey, 1/2 oz nuts (above).

I am struck by the incredible, nearly bovine, amount of food that must be consumed on this diet. I am finding it somewhat nauseating. Coach G has stated that for elite athletic performance the Paleo Diet won't cut it, because you just cannot consume enough carbs, and I would tend to agree. I'm on a weight loss protocol right now, and should be eating 16 blocks. I have failed to do so on the last two days. I cannot imagine being able to eat my maintenance of around 18 blocks. Even 16 blocks, assuming 1/2 the carbs come from veg and 1/2 from fruit is around 8 POUNDS of food! 18 blocks from all veg sources would equal 20 lbs a day of food. No thanks. For sure if you are having trouble controlling your caloric intake through will power, this should do the trick.

No wonder those Paleo dudes were so buff, imagine carrying around 5 days worth of food (40 lbs!) whilst migrating, hunting, foraging, etc, along with everything else. I imagine they must have walked huge distances loaded with perhaps 80 lbs of gear, all the time. Amazing.

There is just no way I could sustain this diet, however I think 1/2 paleo, mostly zone is a lifetime sustainable lifestyle choice.

10AM 1/2 cup milk, 3 oz chicken, cup broccoli = 2 blocks (low carb)

Noon 4 oz tuna, 3/4 lb green beans, 1/2 apple, 1/2 oz nuts, teaspoon olive oil = 3 blocks +1x fat

4PM 1.5 package canned oysters, 1 oz bourbon = 2 blocks

8PM about 1 lb elk, moose, antelope and deer meat, 1/2 lb greens, 5 glasses red wine, small ice cream = 10 blocks

Block Target = 22+ blocks (Thanksgiving)

Block Total = 17

Paleo Rating = F (copious amounts of alcohol, small ice cream, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup coffee)

Workout
15 Muscle-Ups for time (1/2 volume week)
Time: 9:00

No comments: