Saturday, August 30, 2008

Rest Week

Part of my success with CrossFit as a moderately older athlete (early 40s)is rest/work regulation.

This should have been the last full-volume (3 day)mini-cycle, and if my timing had been perfect I would have peaked this week with new PRs in the 400 and "Nasty Girls". The brutal volume of the last two weeks, combined with the 100-day burpee challenge has left me utterly wiped however. I did peak on "Murph" with a new PR (same time as last year but C2B with 20# vest)

Yesterday, I could not, for the life of me do ONE muscle-up (generally I can do 4-6 bent arm and 2-3 full lockout). I could not even do a chicken-wing bar muscle-up!

I'm tired, my heart rate is elevated, I'm not motivated to work out, and I have several nagging injuries AKA OVERTRAINED!

So it is time to swallow my pride and OCD and take my rest week one week early. No lifting, no climbing, no sprinting of any kind. Maybe some easy Yoga would be nice. Been a while since I did Bikram, but that is too much work.

2 comments:

Chad Lott said...

I can't recommend the Bikram enough for when you feel over trained.

People hate on it, but they are retards.

It seems like a natural fit for Crossfitters as it is also an exercise cult run by an alleged megalomaniac.

MBL100 said...

Love Bikram, that's what I did pre-CF, and it gave me a lot of advantages where strength-flexibility is concerned.

Oh and Chad? People are retards.