Thursday, August 7, 2008

Tweaking The Zone





CFEB new Boxless Box






I had 90 grams of carbs (all low-GI) yesterday, probably twice that much protein and a huge amount of fat, mostly in the form of Cashew-Macadamia Nut Butter from TJ's.

I took Robb Wolf's advice and saved a bunch of the carbs for post-workout recovery.

I feel absolutely fantastic today, and I'm still in benign dietary ketosis. I'm going to stick to this scheme, which, interestingly, is exactly the amount Robb is suggesting for folks with mild insulin resistance (18 blocks = 180 grams of carb/2 = 90 grams).

Yesterday's workout (scaled for .5 volume week)

25 pound Dumbbell squat snatch, left arm, 21 reps
25 pound Dumbbell squat snatch, right arm, 21 reps
21 Pull-ups
25 pound Dumbbell squat snatch, left arm, 15 reps
25 pound Dumbbell squat snatch, right arm, 15 reps
15 Pull-ups
25 pound Dumbbell squat snatch, left arm, 9 reps
25 pound Dumbbell squat snatch, right arm, 9 reps
9 Pull-ups

Time: 11:39

Not stellar, but I felt some exercise-induced euphoria again during and after which is a HUGE bonus. Pull-ups all easily unbroken (lower bodyweight makes a massive difference) mostly c2b, I think.

I climbed afterward, but my inured elbow shut me down repeatedly:

5.6 (warm-up)
5.10a (painful on elbow)
5.10b (slightly painful, technical route)
5.10d (elbow pain forced me to stop, slabby)

Evelyn hangdoged the 5.10d with two rests, very nice technical climbing with a bit of thugging at the top.

4 comments:

Daniel said...

That rooftop looks awesome. It's a pain for us to get to GWPC in time for class, but we're gonna have to make an effort to do so sometime to play on the roof.

Bummer about your elbow. If you were at IW, I know just the 10d you were on - "Bloodbath", the blue on the back wall, right? That's my current favorite climb at IW - I try to hit it once per session.

I've been watching your diet with interest, as I'm trying to figure out what I want to do once I get sick of this bulking cycle and need to cut down. As a vegetarian, Atkins is out, but I'm thinking of dropping down to 100g carbs/day, combined with Intermittent Fasting. I figure I've still got another month or so to hammer out the details.

MBL100 said...

Yes, "Bloodbath" that is the one. Actually Atkins is not out, but you would have to be willing to eat, let's say 2 dozen eggs a day? You ever see "Cool Hand Luke"?

Anonymous said...

That was so much fun! I just bought my own harness and I think I'm officially a climbing addict. I LOVE THIS SHIT!!!

I couldn't log on for some reason...same login as for the CFEB site, right? The google id?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous comment was Ev :)