Monday, December 15, 2008

Jump-Start



Former and, hopefully, future glory




My training and diet have been quite mediocre lately. No new PRs since my 309 Fight Gone Bad, which was months ago, although I did well on "The 42" on my birthday. My body comp (and strength to weight ratio) have really backslid. Combined with a nagging elbow injury, this has taken my muscle-up from 7 to 0.

Anyway, I have decided to make my New Year's resolution early and clean up my act.

I'm giving a variation of the Zone Diet that I have been thinking about for a while a shot:

30/25/45 F/C/P

Caloric deficit of 800 calories a day with about 200 grams of protein.

Workout Schedule (six week micro-cycle):

Monday
OHS 15-5-5-5
Bench Press 5-5-5
Climb

Tuesday
CF Metcon (Cherry Pick)

Wednesday
Off

Thursday
Back Squat
5-5-5
Hang Clean
3-3-3
Deadlift
5

Friday
CF Metcon (Cherry Pick)

Saturday
CF Main WOD (rest if rest day)

Sunday
Off

One thing which has retarded my progress of late (besides being injured) is a seeming inability to hit the national WODs with anything less than blistering intensity, even though in my deconditioned state I have gotten overtrained multiple times by doing so, leading to a lack performance gain. This is a bit of an odd paradox and I wonder if other experienced CF'rs experience it: I have been at this long enough that even in a deconditioned state, I seem to have residual "crossfitness" that enables me to hit the WODs harder than I should.

I have experienced the above twice recently "Mr. Joshua" with a weighted vest (bad idea) and the recent

3 Rounds For time

50 Box Jump
21 185# Deadlifts
30 Pull-Up

I'm rather apprehensive about the Games WOD

Five rounds for time of:
275 pound Deadlift, 5 reps
10 Burpees

It seems these Deadlift ones are the real killers for me, not because I am weak in the DL, but rather because I'm strong enough to hurt myself with them, but not fit enough to recover?

3 comments:

Ev said...

Huh, there's a thought. You should go on CF forum and see if this overtraining with intermediate to advanced athletes thing is common. My guess is that yours lately has to do w/ doing wods intermittently. You back off and do rehab (like rowing) and then come back with saddles blazing. There's been a lot of start and stop lately--less consistency than you typically do w/ wod cycles. Of couse, here I am, the novice, critiquing you--the experinced trainer.

MBL100 said...

Ev you are hardly a novice.

Your assessment is dead-on. So today I'm going to actually scale the WOD.

MBL100 said...

By the way "saddles blazing" is an Ev/Brooks-ism