Monday, December 15, 2008


Former and, hopefully, future glory

My training and diet have been quite mediocre lately. No new PRs since my 309 Fight Gone Bad, which was months ago, although I did well on "The 42" on my birthday. My body comp (and strength to weight ratio) have really backslid. Combined with a nagging elbow injury, this has taken my muscle-up from 7 to 0.

Anyway, I have decided to make my New Year's resolution early and clean up my act.

I'm giving a variation of the Zone Diet that I have been thinking about for a while a shot:

30/25/45 F/C/P

Caloric deficit of 800 calories a day with about 200 grams of protein.

Workout Schedule (six week micro-cycle):

OHS 15-5-5-5
Bench Press 5-5-5

CF Metcon (Cherry Pick)


Back Squat
Hang Clean

CF Metcon (Cherry Pick)

CF Main WOD (rest if rest day)


One thing which has retarded my progress of late (besides being injured) is a seeming inability to hit the national WODs with anything less than blistering intensity, even though in my deconditioned state I have gotten overtrained multiple times by doing so, leading to a lack performance gain. This is a bit of an odd paradox and I wonder if other experienced CF'rs experience it: I have been at this long enough that even in a deconditioned state, I seem to have residual "crossfitness" that enables me to hit the WODs harder than I should.

I have experienced the above twice recently "Mr. Joshua" with a weighted vest (bad idea) and the recent

3 Rounds For time

50 Box Jump
21 185# Deadlifts
30 Pull-Up

I'm rather apprehensive about the Games WOD

Five rounds for time of:
275 pound Deadlift, 5 reps
10 Burpees

It seems these Deadlift ones are the real killers for me, not because I am weak in the DL, but rather because I'm strong enough to hurt myself with them, but not fit enough to recover?


Evelyn Rodas said...

Huh, there's a thought. You should go on CF forum and see if this overtraining with intermediate to advanced athletes thing is common. My guess is that yours lately has to do w/ doing wods intermittently. You back off and do rehab (like rowing) and then come back with saddles blazing. There's been a lot of start and stop lately--less consistency than you typically do w/ wod cycles. Of couse, here I am, the novice, critiquing you--the experinced trainer.

Maximus Lewin said...

Ev you are hardly a novice.

Your assessment is dead-on. So today I'm going to actually scale the WOD.

Maximus Lewin said...

By the way "saddles blazing" is an Ev/Brooks-ism