Thursday, April 24, 2008

4-24-08: Nutritional Analysis

Proper nutrition is the foundation of athletic performance and fitness. Without it, you can work out as hard as you are able to (which won't be very hard), many hours a week, and you will never progress beyond beginner-intermediate, if that. To quote Coach Glassman from "World Class Fitness in 100 Words": "Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and NO sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat." Before you get too scared, I know many advanced and elite CrossFit athletes who follow such principals but include one or two "cheat" meals per week (beer, pizza, etc.).

I offer nutritional analysis and guidance to support your goals, whether they be to change body composition (gain muscle, lose fat or both) or to improve athletic performance. The cost is $150.00 and includes a copy of "FitDay" software. This is limited to four persons per week, and will be performed on a first come, first served basis. I will need you to write down everything you eat and drink for a period of one week. I will then spend an hour and a half with you, preferably at your home, so I can see what foods you have on hand and install FitDay on your PC. Not available for MAC.

I also offer total cold-turkey dietary transformation. The cost is $200.00. It includes everything above, and, in addition, I will mercilessly throw out ALL of the junk and unneeded carbohydrate in your home, and go shopping with you at you favorite supermarket to stock your home with 100% wholesome foods.

I don't work with vegetarians, we won't agree, you won't get very good performance, and I don't want to waste your time or mine, or take your money when I know I won't be able to help you.

Pay Here or:
Contact Me Here: info@crossfiteastbay.com
or simply email to info@crossfiteastbay.com with "Nutritional Analysis" in the subject line, and I will invoice you via Google Checkout with further instructions, or make alternative payment arrangements.



Basic Principles

1. Eat animal protein with every meal and snack.

2. Eat 4-5x per day, either 3 meals and 2 snacks, or 4 meals, spaced out evenly.

3. Eat "Zone" proportions, 40/30/30 carb-protein-fat in every meal or snack.

4. Get the majority of carbs from low glycemic index sources, such as vegetables and certain fruits. Treat starches (bread, rice, etc.) as condiments and eat them in moderation.

5. Eat mostly whole foods. Anything packaged is not a whole food.

6. Practice "perimeter shopping". Whole foods are found on the perimeter of the supermarket, processed foods in the aisles.

7. Create opportunities for success. Stock your home with healthy foods and minimize junk. Carry food with you to avoid temptation.





Online resources:

CrossFit & Zone Diet This is my training and nutrition blog, which I will be updating daily again, starting today.
Before/after CrossFit & Zone Diet

The Zone Diet This is the basis of most high-performing CrossFitter's diets.

Zone Block Chart

The Paleolithic Diet This is the "race car" of diets. Demanding, difficult and delivers stunning results when combined with the Zone. The basis of most elite CrossFitter's diets.

Robb Wolf Wonderfully opinionated CrossFit Nutrition Guru.

The Anabolic Diet Advanced dietary technology for the true fanatic, with a focus on building muscle and shedding fat.

The Naive Vegetarian





Adult beverages in The Zone

If you drink alcohol, there is a definite hierarchy of beverages from OK to very bad.

Best to Worst:

1. Red Wine
2. White Wine
3. Spirits & Non-Sugary Cocktails ( Whiskey, Rum, Manhattan, Martini)
4. Dark Beer
5. Liquor (Grand Marnier, etc.)
6. Beer
7. Sugary Cocktails (Margarita, etc.)
8. "Calorie Bombs" (White Russian, Mudslide, etc.)

You should consider adult beverages to be carbs, and you should always eat protein with them and moderate other carb intake when drinking. For example one glass of red wine (3.5 oz) + one string cheese is a good choice.




I offer nutritional analysis and guidance to support your goals, whether they be to change body composition (gain muscle, lose fat or both) or to improve athletic performance. The cost is $150.00 and includes a copy of "FitDay" software. This is limited to four persons per week, and will be performed on a first come, first served basis. I will need you to write down everything you eat and drink for a period of one week. I will then spend an hour and a half with you, preferably at your home, so I can see what foods you have on hand and install FitDay on your PC. Not available for MAC.

I also offer total cold-turkey dietary transformation. The cost is $200.00. It includes everything above, and, in addition, I will mercilessly throw out ALL of the junk and unneeded carbohydrate in your home, and go shopping with you at you favorite supermarket to stock your home with 100% wholesome foods.

I don't work with vegetarians, we won't agree, you won't get very good performance, and I don't want to waste your time or mine, or take your money when I know I won't be able to help you.

Pay Here or:
Contact Me Here: info@crossfiteastbay.com
or simply email to info@crossfiteastbay.com with "Nutritional Analysis" in the subject line, and I will invoice you via Google Checkout with further instructions, or make alternative payment arrangements.












3 comments:

Catra said...

You don't have to eat meat to preform better. I do just fine being a vegan 13 years. And I follow the Zone and crossfit 5 days a week ;)Oh and run 100 miles most weeks.
I think it all depends on the person. I think being a vegan is not for everyone.
I think eating in the zone is the way to go and vegans can be in the zone too.
Catra

MBL100 said...

Hey Catra,

I often cite you as an anomaly: a high-performing CrossFitter who is a vegan ultra-runner. I think you have exceptional genetics to be able to get away with this, and I also think your performance would go through the roof if you stopped running so much and ate animal protein. I would be interested to know, for example, how fast you can row a 500, how fast you can run a mile, how many kipping pull-ups you can do, how much you can deadlift, snatch, etc.

Anonymous said...

Max, great post, terrific amount of information. Plus, I feel you on the need for that $200 price on the "full service" option. So many people have huge problems with the execution. They get it, they want to do it, they just forget about that 10 gallon container of ice cream in the fridge and then "forget" to tell you about it during your meetings. Way to go the extra effort.