Friday, October 11, 2013

2013 October Athlete of the Month

Starting this month, we’re going to recognize an “athlete of the month” on our blog. This athlete will be someone who has, throughout the previous month, demonstrated the resilience, dedication and fierceness that exemplifies CrossFit East Bay athletes. It might be someone who has hit PRs in several lifts that month, someone who’s done every single bit of extra work posted, or someone who has given their all in every WOD while also helping other CFEB members improve. It won’t necessarily be a fire-breather. But it could be. This is our way of acknowledging the hard work and amazing performances we see in class everyday. This is your way to get to know a little bit about another member of our community. And maybe enjoy 15 minutes of CFEB fame.


For October, we’ve named Nick Cartagena our athlete of the month. Nick has demonstrated an incredible amount of commitment and ambition over the past month, showing up every night, giving it his all, completing all of the extra work, and challenging more experienced CrossFitters at Weekend Warrior workouts. Nick has an awesome attitude and is always up for a challenge. Congrats, Nick, and keep up the good work!



How long have you been doing CrossFit? My On-Ramp started April 15th of this year, so I think I’m coming up on 6 months now.


Favorite WOD/movements: Wow, that’s a hard one. I don’t know if I have a favorite. I have movements I like because I’m strong at them, but then I also enjoy the other movements because there’s a lot for me to learn and a lot of room for improvement.


Least favorite WOD/movements: Same answer, but if I’m really pressed I’ll go with kipping. Ripped calluses are no fun.


Greatest CrossFit accomplishment: It’s hard to pick, but it’s been fun getting better and PRing in the clean.


Current CrossFit Goal: Get stronger while still being able to stay agile enough to dominate the soccer field. Also, in the next few months I’d like to put 20 lbs on my squat, same for my clean, and 10 lbs on my snatch and to be more consistent at it.


What do you like to do when you’re not doing CrossFit? I love playing soccer and usually play a couple times a week.


If you could only listen to one musical artist while you worked out, which one would it be? Lil’ Wayne


What’s your favorite thing about CrossFit East Bay? The WODs and the people.



2013 October Athlete of the Month

No comments: